Life and Seoul

Monday, May 22, 2006

Because men have needs, too

Our newsroom secretary told me Friday that I needed to get a credit union account -- today. I wandered downstairs and found the place (after talking to two people who had no idea what I was talking about). However, I already have direct deposit for my paycheck at work at a bank. So, why would I need a separate and second account for money from work? For a secret slush fund, it turns out. In Korea, women generally do the books. So, at our paper, at least, the men are given this "credit union" account for all extra money: bonuses, overtime, holiday pay, whatever. And their wives don't have a clue.

3 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

To Brian and Patty,

Hello from Canada.
I really enjoy blogs that can teach me something about other places and especially other cultures.
I am enjoying your point of view, now being in Korea.
I would like to post your site as a link, so my friends can have a peek at your world as well.

Thank You for the peek into your world
Lynn

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Will Pfeifer said...

A secret account! I like it!

 
At 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I have heard about secret accounts for years, both husbands and wives, but this is a first! Established and sanctioned by the office. This is hilarious.
Horsewoman

 

Post a Comment

<< Home