Life and Seoul

Monday, May 15, 2006

Hong Kong
Well, I may SEEM computer literate, but I'm not! I loaded all our photos from the trip, then realized that they are all in reverse order. So, in true blog fashion, we're starting with the end of our trip.
Yes, it's INCREDIBLY juvenile of me to post a photo of "Tong Fuk" village, but as a journalist, I'm just reporting what I see. I was unable to get a photo of, and this an exact quote, the "Fat Ho Elementary School." Our bus just drove by it too fast, and my camera didn't snap quick enough. But it really exists, in the serene fishing village of Tai O, on an island that is a 30-minute ferry trip (and 1 hour bus ride).
Here's the ferry port. The high-speed ferry cruises at what seems like 45 miles per hour. In 30 minutes, you go from crazy congestion (see picture below) to complete tranquility and remoteness. Amazing.
This was a "ladies market" at about 10 p.m. in Hong Kong's Kowloon section.
Oy ... completely out of order, but this is Patty buying some dried squid at the Tai O fishing village.
Another view of Tai O.

These are bubbles, so you know what these women are REALLY thinking about.
Oh, now we're back to the Tai O village.
This is a view of Hong Kong's skyline, taken Saturday night, at the peak of the mountain overlooking the city. You can take a famous (at least for tourists) tram to get there. It's basically a train on tracks that go practically straight up. You look out the window and everything is 45 degrees.
Hong Kong is a former British Colony, just like our home country. So we celebrated with some afternoon tea at the Peninsula Hotel, luv ... Cheers.
A view of Hong Kong's skyline from Kowloon. They say it's the most famous skyline in the world, but as a former New Yorker, I'm skeptical.
I just thought the money was pretty ....
A boat in Hong Kong harbor. No idea why this old sailboat is sitting in the middle of this modern harbor.
Here's Patty. She's excited because she's about to enter an ART MUSEUM.
We are looking incredibly relaxed. Why ... why ... why? Oh yeah, notice there's NOT a 2-year-old crazy kid in this picture? He stayed with Patty's relatives in Seoul. I doubt they'll let that happen again.
Here's me at the Korean consulate, wondering if they will approve my visa application. We already sold our house, so it would be REALLY annoying if they didn't let me back in Korea. I'll ease the suspense. They gave me the visa, no problem!
Patty riding a tram. This one on the street, and perfectly level.
Hong Kong is known for its dim sum. This place is in the City Hall building, and was quite good.
Just a shot of a taxi driver, thinking there's got to be a better way to make an living than driving these crazy Americans around.

And below ... Patty at the dim sum place again.

1 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger Steve said...

HK looks like a lot of fun! I've been wanting to go there. Someday...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home