Life and Seoul

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Next to our hotel in Sokcho, right next to it, was this farm. At the farm, there were about 30-40 dogs, which we heard each morning. I took one close-up photo (below) before getting shooed away. We also followed a pickup truck almost certainly taking dogs to slaughter. I later went to an old-school market in Seoul and saw a cage of dogs in front of a whole bunch of sliced meat. I even saw a woman butchering a dog. I was really horrified and sickened. I know that much of that is my Western sensibility -- here, eating dogs has been going on for a long time and is rather widely accepted -- but it's still hard to stomach. I know it's cultural and I should accept it (the wide availability of guns in the U.S., for example, makes many outside countries ill), but it's not easy.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get it. You are fine with killing Cow, Pigs and other animals but not dogs. I heard that they made cows to panic so it generates some kind of adrenaline and hten slaughter it. It seems this improves the taste of it. And I think this is perfectly OK for you.

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get it. You are fine with killing Cow, Pigs and other animals but not dogs. I heard that they made cows to panic so it generates some kind of adrenaline and then slaughter it. It seems this improves the taste of it. And I think this is perfectly OK for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home