Life and Seoul

Thursday, July 13, 2006

They hate us, they really hate us ...
Well, maybe not hate. But in a crazy day in Seoul, it rained 15 inches and some 40,000 or more anti-American demonstrators rallied at City Hall, about four blocks from where I work. They were protesting talks about a free-trade agreement between the two countries. Mostly, they were farmers, students and union workers. Unlike many rallies, this one ended peacefully. But for a day, at least, I was adding "eh" to the end of my sentences.

Here's a link

Rally in the rain

One thing that's interesting about living here is that I've never felt more American. I am truly defined by my country, both good and bad, which is something that's not the case living at home. Strangely (or not), I actually feel a little more patriotic even. And although this rally looks kinda intense, Koreans by far have been very kind to us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home